Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Care Package

Hi people. I´m still alive, I´ve just not gotten around to posting anything in a while.

I got a care package the other day. From my mom. : ) I think its contents are pretty revealing:
  • chocolate chips (semisweet Ghirardelli)
  • Tom´s of Maine natural toothpaste
  • Nature´s Gate natural deodorant
  • stuffed animal squirrel for Nelson
I had requested the first three items. Mom picked out the squirrel, as Nelson´s fascinated by them when he´s in the U.S. When we walked part of Boston´s Freedom Trail last year, every time I tried to point out some historical landmark, I´d turn around to find him engrossed by squirrels instead. I suppose they do look funny if you're not used to them.

I came down here with 4 bags of chocolate chips and had exhausted half of my supply in short time, which is why Mom sent me more. Just last week I saw that Lider (the big new supermarket, which I fear is somehow affiliated with Wal-Mart yet which I love because it's the only place that imports peanut butter and goat cheese) now has chocolate chips. For $6 a bag. So, chocolate chips have not yet caught on here, although Chileans (as well as gringo ex-pats) seem pretty happy with my cookies.

It´s great having Tom´s of Maine and Nature´s Gate products back in my bathroom. These haven´t made it into the Chilean market either, and I´m not sure they ever will. I had brought enough toothpaste for my time here, but as Nelson is a recent Tom´s convert, the supply was being depleted faster than anticipated. : )

It's getting frosty and snowy here. Nothing has stuck for more than a few days, but the last few mornings have been icy. The kind of slippery streets where everyone goes around taking baby steps. I´d forgotten about those kinds of days and think that this soon-to-be-former California resident is going to be in for a bit of a rude awakening when the New Haven winter sets in. Speaking of which, my mom found me a great apartment in New Haven. I´m so excited! The first thing I thought of when she told me she´d found it was, "Wow, now I can get magazine subscriptions again." Being on and off the road for the past 2 and a half years doesn´t exactly lend itself to the kind of consistency needed for things like subscriptions to Cook´s Illustrated. Big thanks to Mom for all her work to find me my first long-ish term home in a while.

Not much more to report here. Just wanted to say hi. Hope everyone´s well.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I did a little checking up on Lider for you. I didn't find anything linking them, or their parent company (DS Distribucion y Servicio S.A.) with Wal-Mart, which I'm sure is a relief ;)

They have a whole bunch of information on their website about principles, purposes, ethics, etc. so they seem pretty good. They list their first principle as the belief in God and the dignity of man... So that's nice :)

9/6/05 8:32 PM  
Blogger Hannah Murray said...

Once again, Stuart gets the SuperSleuth award...the thing that makes me think Lider might be Wal-Mart is that its font is exactly the same as the Wal-Mart font--blue all-capital letters for the name of the store, with the motto below in a red script. What´s more, the mottos are exactly the same (´Always low prices´ for Walmart and ´Siempre precios bajos´ for Lider). It could be a bad case of plagiarism....but I'm still suspicious. Where did you find their webpage? I couldn´t find it.

11/6/05 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that is a bit suspicious then... Their site is http://www.dys.cl/

I guess Wal-Mart probably have the same kind of "principles" etc. on their website.

According to supermarket.co.za "Wal-Mart has so far been cautious in its expansion approach in Argentina, but the newly expanding Argentinean economy could prompt Wal-Mart to grow further."

That quote, and a few sentences before it seem to suggest that Wal-Mart is going by it's own name in South America, so it seems kind of unlikely that they'd own Lider... I guess it's quite possible, or even quite likely, that one company owns both D&S and Wal-Mart.

It's probably Dick Cheney Inc. :)

12/6/05 7:41 PM  
Blogger Hannah Murray said...

Yes, I did notice that there is Wal-Mart in Argentina. This whole thing is so curious really...

14/6/05 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home