Friday, April 15, 2005

You asked...

Thanks to all who have responded to me personally or through the Comments section of my blog. I’m glad people are enjoying my accounts. I’m enjoying writing them, and doing so makes me feel less out of touch with all of you.

In an attempt to respond to the inquiring minds who have posted comments:

The hearts of palm I have eaten are the preserved ones. I don’t think I’ve seen them in their natural state . They seem to be fairly popular in Argentina and Brazil. When I was in Brazil, I bought them in the grocery store. They come in cans the size of Campbell’s soup cans and are 4-inch long white stalks that are about ¾ inch wide. I cut them up and add them to salads or to pizzas. They don’t last too long out of the can, so you have to use them quickly. Otherwise they produce they start to “sweat” something that looks like beads of Russian dressing. It’s quite unusual and may have something to do with the brine of the preservatives.

As for posting pictures, I’ve had trouble doing so, as it requires installing new software on whatever computer you’re working on, and I’m always at different computers at internet cafes. But if I can get a more consistent internet connection, I’ll see what I can do.

Do people here feel more affiliation with the region or with their respective countries? Good question. Nelson, when he was in the U.S., always introduced himself as Patagonian. In general, there’s a lot of crossover between Argentines and Chileans down here (in work as well as social situations, marriages, etc.) and it definitely seems like they feel more camaraderie with each other than they do with people from other parts of their respective countries. On the level of authorities and governments however (as well as Argentines and Chileans I’ve met in other areas of the country), there seems to be more of a nationalistic streak. I’ll keep investigating.

Happy traveling, Ethan! Definitely get yourselves a National Parks Pass. And let me know where you’re headed. It gets really hot in the southwest in June and July.

And last but not least, Stuart gets the scavenger hunt prize for tracking down the relation between cranberries and chaura (or, rather, Chilean wintergreen). Most excellent work, especially as I had no idea Stuart was even reading my blog. I also had no idea the chaura was toxic. Nelson and I are both feeling fine, by the way. : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home